Friday, February 20, 2009

AZTECH 3G ROUTER


I am using an unlimited Celcom D50 3G package as my primary internet connection at home. This is shared with my wife and kids. It is used with a Sierra 875U USB modem. Since there are 4 notebooks at home, I need to plug and unplug the Sierra modem to whatever notebook I want to access internet with, which is quite troublesome. Due to this, the search for a cheap 3G router starts. There are a few models such as DLink, Huawei and Vodafone Zuhause. Most are priced around RM500 to RM800.

At last I found the Aztech 3G Router, which cost me only RM320, at Digital Mall, PJ. It accepts most of the USB 3G modem available. In the box, it mentioned that Huawei E220 works well. However I tried it with my Sierra 875U USB modem with the enclosed adapter. It works without a flaw. The only problem is that it only have one RJ45 output, so it means that all of your notebook or PCs have to be connected via wifi. So I set up the WEP key and got all of my notebooks connected via the router.

Since Celcom had recently upgraded their 3G and HSDPA coverage in Kuantan, my house was covered with HSDPA since last year. I don't think there will be a slow down in the internet speed with all the 4 notebooks online.

Now to setup my wife's Nokia N85 for wifi and teach her how to do it. She might get the hang of chatting or blogging with it later.

Next step is to hang the router high up on the wall, probably in my store room to ensure a very good strength of the wifi signal around my house and the balcony.

No comments: